Getting back to music

I really missed playing music. Music used to be a big part of my life. I even went so far to major in music for the first three and a half years in my college career.

I’ve been practicing for the past few months, and listening to old jazz recordings (both bands I’ve been in and recordings of the greats). One saxophone player that has stuck with me since high school, thanks to the exposure of my band director Jim Sleator, was Don Menza because of his famous Menza Cadenza.

What I didn’t realize then is that the music that Jim exposed me to then, would become the foundation of my musical preference for life. I now will occasionally listen to the radio. I really like Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down.. But I also preferred some Buddy Rich or Maynard Ferguson.

Don Menza played with Buddy Rich for awhile, and although Steve Marcus who played with Buddy Rich was a great player, the solo that Don Menza took with his brief time with the band was just amazing.

Channel One Suite – Buddy Rich Big Band – Live at Caesar’s – Don Menza Tenor Sax Solo

So I decided that I was going to learn that solo. My first stop was to see if anyone had transcribed it. Yes, I wanted to avoid doing it myself. That’s a lot of work and time. Although I didn’t find the transcription, or do it myself, I did find this gem.

Don Menza Talking about saxophone tone

This video is Don Menza talking about tone. It was very interesting to me. After watching this video, I played around with the techniques he talked about. And turns out he’s right. If every saxophone player played the way they teach you in school, then they’d all sound alike. They don’t follow the rules and they don’t all have the same sounds. John Coltrane sounds like John Coltrane because he plays like John Coltrane. Not because he plays with the “correct” embrasure. The embrasure they teach helps you blend in with the band, and give the ensemble a great sound, but when you’re playing a jazz lead part, you don’t want that sound. You want your sound.

Three hours of playing around with the concepts in this video, I was able to get a sound that was closer to what I thought a tenor sax should sound like. It’s not perfect, but its getting there. I’ve been practicing almost every day and am loving it. Like my college band director told me once, practice when things get you down. Not only will it make you a better musician, but it’ll make you feel better. He was right. Thanks Randy Hubbs, you’re absolutely right!

Well.. It’s 15 years since I was a music major, but I might as well start working on my saxophone tone. Better than later… Right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You’re from that place where that guy got a mop handle in the butt.

My new sax partner (Part 2)

Venus De Milo’s Butt