Photography: Cellphones are the future

I have Photoshop Express on my iPhone. I decided to take the crappiest photo on my phone and see what I could do with it.

Last August we went to a cabin on Loon Lake and I ended up with this picture. Not sure if it was an accident, but it’s of a bottle of Aleve and diet doctor pepper.

photo2

Spending about 60 seconds on the photo, from my iPhone, it now looks like this.

photo

Not that the picture is very interesting in the second iteration, but it’s more interesting. I have a DSLR, and honestly I don’t pull it out as often as I’d like. I love the camera to death, but it pretty much take a backpack to lug it around with the filters, lenses, flash, and other accessories. Unfortunately, I think the phone camera is more and more going to be the camera of choice.

My biggest problem with that is that I like the ability to uses lenses because you can get better shots. The depth of field is the strongest reason I like the better lenses. So I decided to look up lenses for iPhone…. They exist in DIY and Commercial form.

Here is one from http://blog.cow.mooh.org/2009/12/phone-o-scope-attaching-slr-lenses-to.html

4149103809_6e1572cd6f

This seems like a bit much, but I like the photos that come out of it. I will not likely be carrying around a lens and duct tape to make this work.

This one looks really promising. It’s a case that has lens attachments. I read about this on http://tamsijungle.tamoggemon.com/2009/07/07/iphone-3g-3gs-case-provides-external-lenses/

iphone_camera_lens

This is a bit expensive and only for the iPhone 3G/3GS. Very cool idea, but not likely to get purchased by me anytime soon. I guess I’ll just have to wait for the lenses to get better in the phones, and rely on application on the iPhone to make it look like I had the lenses I have on my DSLR. It might have to be good enough for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You’re from that place where that guy got a mop handle in the butt.

My new sax partner (Part 2)

Venus De Milo’s Butt