Traveling isn’t what I remember

I remember that economy on international flights was slightly better than economy on domestic flights. In reality, I think our domestic flight had more room. I’m not sure if my memory is failing me, or United is just cramming more and more people in a plane to make a buck. I think the latter.

What made it more interesting is that in Chicago, Heather and I ordered a drink. They were so strong that Heather refused to drink it. So being a good WSU alumni, I drank it. We also had one on the plane that she didn’t drink for the same reason. Again, can’t waste vodka. So the first 2 hours of the Chicago to London Heathrow flight was great. The problem is that it was about an 8 hour flight. It was alright, but I was painfully aware (literally), that a rather large gentleman was sitting to my left, and my back was killing me from leaning away from him for 8 hours. But we’re here now. Hopefully the trip back won’t be the same!

I’m not sure why, but I have a thing about the coffee in Europe. They make it a little different, and its good. They had a little leaf stencil for the powdered chocolate on top of the cappuccino. And at the coffee shop, they even gave Heather her own personal tea kettle for the tea.

IMG_0460

I’d love to say how great the scenery from Heathrow to Bath was, but after not sleeping on the plane, we crashed had on the bus and slept most of the way. I’m sure it was lovely.

Our hotel is the Best Western Abbey Hotel. Although it isn’t much bigger than a breadbox, it is in a perfect location. As the name suggests, we are a three minute walk from the Abbey. But before I go on, since the room is so small we had an incident!

Heather setup the little oscillating fan in the window to get some air circulating in the room. Our suitcase was next to the window as well… Any guesses what happens next? Heather was getting into the suitcase and.. Yep.. The fan goes out the window. She manages to catch it by the cord so the fan doesn’t fall down, but not before the grill around the fan split. So the front part of our fan is somewhere in the courtyard below.. Whoops. I went down to tell the registration desk that is someone finds part of a fan, it belongs to our room. She couldn’t help but laugh.

Here is our fan now.. No longer by the window.

IMG_0468

So on to the Abbey!

_DSC0268

After dinner, we had to go get some night shots. Our hotel is the building to the very far left.

_DSC0283

Its all in the heart of Bath. 180 degrees from the shot above is Pulteney bridge. There are only two in the world like it. What makes it unique is that there are shops in it. It’s like a bridge and strip mall in one. Well, strip mall from the 1700s

_DSC0272

I like it better at night.

_DSC0278

Also the town has all sorts of nooks and crannies. Here is one a few blocks from the hotel that Heather and I really liked.

_DSC0290

Tomorrow is our day to really dig into bath. Not a bad first day. On a side note, it turns out that the British pound doesn’t really fit in my wallet. I think I accidentally ripped a ten already.. Whoops.

IMG_0464

Wireless is spotty here, so the blogs may queue up and I’ll post them as we can. The hotel’s wireless is broken. I would fix it for them, but I’m on vacation!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You’re from that place where that guy got a mop handle in the butt.

My new sax partner (Part 2)

Venus De Milo’s Butt